View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
does a BGScript program require the BGLIB/BGAPI? 
Site Admin

Hello David,
the BLE112 module is as most of the modules from Bluegiga based on a chipset solution and certified by the BLuetooth SIG worldwide.
I think this is one of the reasons why a BG module is more expensive compared to a bare chipset solution.

If you are interested in using the IAR workbench, my only questions to you is, why do you want to use the BLE112?
Then you can use the BlueRadios module which supports the IAR workbench as I know.
Maybe you can use the TI SmartTag to get a peripheral based on the CC254x with lot of sensors and IAR sample code as well. I think this would be a much easier platform for you to start with IAR development on a particular platform.

Concerning the native C program features of the BLE112, please contact Bluegiga's support which can be found on their website http://www.bluegiga.com :-)

For me as a hobbyist it is the same reason as Eric mentioned not to use the IAR workbench. It is too expensive. What I can do with BGScript and the BLE112 is completely
sufficient for my needs.

Thanks for discussing here on this forum and thanks to Eric for his postings,
Michael.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

Hi David,

I guess I already bored everyone with my long messages, so I'll try to keep this short. :mrgreen: I forwarded your questions to Bluegiga's support, let's see what they say.

Quote:
so, what is the bluegiga BLE112 module really adding to TI CC2540?

INMHO they added "non-eletronics" goodies that makes the chip easier to be used:
- A simpler API (BGAPI) that exposes all hardware interfaces in a high level design.
- A ANSI-C library version of the BGAPI (with a limitation of running the app outside of the chip, requiring a host).
- A license-free compiler for a basic-like language (BGScript) of BGAPI.
- They're own custom stack instead of TI's (although from the user perspective this is irrelevant).

Those may sound small values from a technical point of view but is really big (in my opinion) from a business perspective since it's very easy for any programmer without prior knowledge in low level APIs to use it. It's like going from C to Javascript.

Quote:
would it be possible to get the firmware of BLE112 and put it in any other bluetooth module that uses the TI CC2540 chip?

I'm betting this is not possible but not due to technical limitations since this would goes against Bluegigas revenue model.

Quote:
would it be possible to use a BLE112 module, remove its firmware and, using the CCDebuger, program the "SimpleBLEPeripherical" project compiled by IAR to the BLE112 module?

I think so, but you would loose the features mentioned.

On the other hand, I just found thus article that exposes some limitations of the BLE112 chip.

Anyway, we will have the answers once they reply to us. ;)

Cheers,

Eric

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi guys,

Just got the answer from Bluegiga support. As we discussed in previous post, Bluegiga's benefits over TI seems to be the "value added service". They point something that I haven't consider but for sure should be taken into account which is they're support and documentation.

The speed of change/improvement is another interesting point, although since I'm new in this microchip world, I can't say it TI is also good at it.

I also would add the fact that you can easily run they're tools in linux and mac (with aid of wine), but this is off course not officially supported. Again, since I don't use IAR I can't say if it runs on those OS.

Regarding David's questions in particular they confirmed that you actually can flash with a TI firmware but the intersting aspect is that you actually can recover from it (which I was betting against).

Quote:
The BLE112 module itself is very close to many other CC2540-based designs from an electrical standpoint. However, we have also gone through all of the Bluetooth and RF-related certifications (FCC, CE, IC, etc.) which save a huge amount of time and money compared to rolling your own design--assuming that you are intending to build and sell a retail product.

Additionally, our BLE stack is entirely custom and written from the ground up in-house, which gives us a lot of flexibility and the option to move very quickly when adding/modifying certain features or working directly with customers. All of our SDK documentation and tools are free, and the BGScript/BGAPI development approach saves a great deal of time and effort compared to a native C development approach through IAR, unless you are already very familiar with IAR, C, and the 8051 language and CC254x functionality.

It is actually possible to run TI stack-based firmware right on our modules, though of course we do not officially support this software development approach. It does replace our firmware (and the license key required to use our stack), but it is possible to retain this using BLE Update or a full module flash dump. If/when you return to using our stack, you can simply rewrite the original license key to continue using the our stack with full functionality.

It is also possible to flash firmware built with our SDK onto any CC254x-based design, but without a proper license key present, the radio will be non-functional. This is to ensure that 3rd-party manufacturers cannot make use of our stack without permission.

In short, some of the major advantages to using Bluegiga modules and our stack rather than a 3rd-party or custom CC254x design and the TI stack + IAR are:

Much simpler to get started with and to build simple applications
Free SDK tools
Certifications all handled for you
Constantly improving BLE stack
Rapid response from support + R&D

Cheers,

Eric

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 pm

great, thanks for all the answers! :)

now it is crystal clear! :)

so, I'll go for the BLE112 module, as i can use it with both BGScript and IAR.

i started studying the TI CC2540 documentation and their SimpleBLE Central and Peripherical example.
it's a bit intimidating at first, quite a lot of code to write for a simple application.

the BGScript example was much shorter.
The BGScript documentation was badly written, but their support seems to be great.
i'll give it a try!

Thanks a lot! :)
David

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2