View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
General questions about implementing BLE112 

Hello everybody,

Im not used to work with Bluetooth technology and a customer asked me to do sort of a feasibility study to implement a BT4 module (actually a BLE112) in one of our products. The documentation on the web is pretty poor, so I ask my questions here, you seem to know much about the subject :)

The BLE 112 will be used with a microcontroller (PIC24F) and my first question is : Do I have to program the BLE112 separately for the GATT database, or is it possible to send these informations trough BGAPI? In other words, in production, do we need to program the host controller AND the BLE112, or is it possible to program only the host, which will then send all BLE-relative datas to the BLE112, without the need of a new compiler/programming POD? As I understood, all the GATT database is an XML file which is then converted into a HEX file (with others config. files) that is flashed into the BLE112, so no way to avoid double programming, but maybe am I wrong?

Given that we use a separate host, we need to use the BGLib. Is there any further informations about it? I read the API documentation, but it doesn't really help, i would need a flowchart, which explains what has to be done and when... Do you know where I can find more informations about it, like a dev guide for BGLib (it exists for BGScript)?

One solution would be to use the BLE112 as the controller of my system, but it seems a bit light for my application (not enough IOs and not sure if really made for 16bits operations).

Many thanks in advance for your help and tips!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:49 am

Yes, you will need to create the GAP profile and program that into the module, then the API can interface to the GATT variables you have defined there.

It does mean that the module will consume less current - notifying your processor when an event happens.

Of course, if the processor is not doing much, there are I/O lines, A-D, SPI interfaces all on the module and accessible from the BGScript, meaning you can save money on the processor. Maybe you can multiplex some I/O, or even use an SPI based I/O system?

I suggest you sign up the the Bluegiga Tech Forum where you can get a lot of documentation, if you are in Europe, I can help via Avnet Embedded.

Regards,

Simon Taylor

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]